Food vs. Supplements
I don’t want to spend money on pills I just want good food!
Food from nature as it occurs naturally since the beginning of time is the best choice for your body to consume. When food grows from the ground many nutrients, enzymes and microbes are involved in its growth. Food that comes from ground with nutrient dense soil is the best choice to eat because it gives your body the nutrients it needs.
There is a big problem that has happened to your food. Your food has less nutrients now because of the way the ground it is grown in has been treated. Chemicals included in commercial farming practices have eroded the nutrients and microbes out of the soil that is supposed to enrich what you eat.
I’ve had many conversations with farmers who have been patients of mine over the years that have told me that our food has changed in appearance, taste and the rate at which it grows. The farmers do not see this as a positive thing for the people eating the food.
Supplementation makes sense for your family because we have a different world that we live in now compared to 100 years ago. If you can grow your own food or purchase it at a local farmers market where you know the source then you should try to get the majority of your nutrition from your food. The widespread use of chemicals and genetically altered crops choking out the natural food supply has created a need for taking supplements that are missing in the food we consume. We may be able to get some of it for our body but the numbers about increased chronic health problems tell us we cannot get all that we need.
We try to keep the supplements to a minimum in our house but there are some that we need to take because we realize that our food has had a lot of its value taken from it in the growing process.
There are five supplements that we consume regularly because of the fundamental lack of nutrition that we are experiencing.
1) Probiotics- healthy bacteria in the soil has been constantly destroyed with chemicals over the past century. The earth has become devoid of enough beneficial bacteria to feed human beings and therefore we see a huge increase in intestinal and gut issues like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Replacing your beneficial gut bacteria is crucial as up to 80% of your immune defenses happen in the gut lining. REAL FOOD ALTERNATIVES: fermented foods like Saurekraut, drinks like Kombucha
2) Omega Oils- the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fats in our body should ideally be 1:1(2:1 is ok).(1) Evidence shows that the average American has a ratio of 15:1 up to 20:1 due to dietary habits. This should be combatted by taking a supplement because the inflammation this causes is implicated in heart disease and cancer as well as many chronic conditions . (2)(3) REAL FOODS: Flaxseed, walnuts, wild fish
3) Vitamin C + Proline + Lysine- Humans cannot make vitamin C in our liver as some other animals do. We must get it from our diet. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It is the structural protein used to make connective tissues, bones, teeth, hair and arteries. Damaged collagen has been shown in people who have heart disease and artery problems. REAL FOOD: Citrus Fruits, eggs, bone broth
4) Vitamin D + K- most people know that vitamin D is a very important health promoter in our body. vitamin K and D together are synergistic and create a greater impact to our health. Vitamin K is being studied and is seen to have some helpful effects on how your brain ages in diseases like alzheimer’s and parkinson’s. (4) REAL FOOD: leafy green vegetables, sunshine
5) Concentrated Whey Protein from Grass-Fed Animals Grass-Fed concentrated whey protein is one of the most amazing protein foods on earth. It provides high amounts of essential amino acids glutamic acid and leucine, branch-chain amino acids and cysteine which all are required for energy production, immune actions and muscle protein building. Concentrated whey protein contains the amino acid building blocks which are precursors to glutathione. Glutathione is the master antioxidant and is known to play a significant role in destroying free radicals in your body. (5) REAL FOOD: Whey Water
Sources and References