6 things we do for the flu
With 6 children living in a house it is a good idea to have a plan when one of the children comes home from school with a cold or a flu. These are five of the tools on the list that all of our kids know to load up on when they feel their immunity is being tested.
- Vitamin A – has been explored in its role on affecting T cell actions and control of the innate immune system. (1) (2) multiple functions in the human body including eye and skin development
- Vitamin D – kills microbial infections (3)
- Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant that helps destroy toxoid and viral infections. (4) Awesome as a continual preventative health measure when combined with lysine and proline
- Probiotics – helps restore normal flora in your gut and improves your immune system
- Silver Water – a natural antimicrobial that has been used fin the Middle East for thousands of years (5)
- Coconut Water – antimicrobial (6)
It is important to note that SLEEP and REST are essential to allowing the body to deal with the challenges it is dealing with. Some feel that this is just unreasonable and that they cannot take time off from school or work to let their body fight. We have found that a day off today eliminates weeks off in the future. As Benjamin Franklin stated, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Water intake is extremely important while you are fighting a flu. We also like fermented drinks like Kombucha and a variety of herbal and green teas for the kids while they are sick. Coconut water is also very beneficial for electrolyte replenishment.
We have found that we improve quicker if we try to fast while we have symptoms. If we allow our body to commit to fighting the bug that is attacking it instead of focusing on digestion we do very well. The only time we will not fast or try to get our children to eat is if they feel fatigued or are having problems keeping fluids down.
It is important to note that for the most part we see the symptoms from colds and flus as important to our long term health. We also like to get rid of those symptoms as soon as we can!
Sources and References